Thursday, May 13

#2: I have morals and convictions.

A few months ago, I was purchasing groceries, along with some Frontline for my tiny, flea-ridden dog at Meijer. I was broke, and I was making only necessary purchases. The dog meds more than doubled the cost of my food, and I really didn't want to spend the money. As usual, I had chosen a self-check line so that I could competently sack my groceries in the bag I brought myself. As I placed the expensive item on the belt, I noticed how little it weighed.

Less than a pack of playing cards
a pack of cigarettes
a pack of gum.

About the same weight, in fact, as the bag of lettuce I was getting ready to scan. I could easily pick up both items and fool the machine into "thinking" I had just scanned lettuce alone. I contemplated stealing for a few seconds.

And then I rung up the Frontline, almost $50 worth of pesticides, for the comfort of a dog who has outlived his novelty.

Now, I don't claim that one choice proves that I have morals, but it does occur in a long line of right decisions. What is morality if not doing the right thing when the risk of consequences is mild? What is conviction if it is not knowing within oneself that an action is good to the extent of bettering other opposing options?

No comments:

Post a Comment