Thursday, December 25

Christmas Loot

After finally succumbing to my husband's pleas to write a wish list, I had a fairly satisfying present opening experience this morning. First, let me qualify my remarks with the classic disclaimer that it's not about the gifts I receive, blah blah blah. In all honesty, my real joy comes by watching others open and love the gifts I have chosen for them; a sentiment that is only slightly less selfish than concern over my own gift receiving pleasure. Of course, this joy is still rooted in consumerism and material things. I guess I have no shame. I also am willing to admit that when a person is able to share a tangible symbol of their feelings for me, I am reassured of their compassion. For that reason, year after year I have resisted writing a wish list to aid my husband in his quest for the perfect gift. I want him to guess, guess correctly, and make me feel completely adored. It hasn't happened yet, so I wrote out (clicked out is more like it) a gift request list for the sake of all. Among my requested items, here are the things I received:

A Mercy, by Toni Morrison
Nineteen Minutes, by Jodi Picoult
If I Am Missing or Dead: A Sister's Story of Love, Murder, and Liberation, by Janine Latus
Brave and Crazy, by Melissa Etheridge
Snap-on Cell Phone Cover
Long Road Out of Eden, by the Eagles
Fit and Fresh Water Filtration Bottle
SceneIt? Seinfeld
Bubba Keg 34 oz hot/cold thermos
Lindt Lindor Dark Chocolate Truffles (not 60 of them, but you get the idea)
David Cook self-titled CD (not on my list, but hubby thought I'd like it)

Knowing what I like and what others buy me for Christmas is a way for my virtual friends to get to know me better. As a bonus, I will review many of these items in future blog posts, so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment