Tuesday, December 30

Baby Mania Notification #2

Baby is active and healthy, rolling around in there! We took a non-stress test last night at the hospital because I fell flat out on my belly. Luckily, there was no reason for concern. Even more serendipitously, I have a doctor's appointment scheduled for this afternoon to give me complete peace of mind. Imagine...

After a weekend of discomfort and labor symptoms (already!!!??), I finally slept through the night Sunday evening. I was not looking forward to supervising students at the concession stand last night, but I was thankful to be healthy, well-rested, and alert! I was productive around the house and actually felt good about my accomplishments for the first time in several days.

I drove to school, rocking out and eating cheese. Running only slightly late, I felt positive as I stepped out of the van, shoving my keys and cheese into my overly large coat pockets while locking the door and carrying my bottle of water with the other hand. Ever alert, I noticed a thick utility wire sticking out of the ground. Of course, I would avoid tripping over this wire-I'm carrying precious cargo! Unfortunately, the placement of the wire had created a hidden sinkhole in the exact location that I deemed safe-that carefully chosen patch of seemingly secure grass far out of danger where I confidently planted my left foot.

My foot sunk at least twelve inches into the ground. My arms went forward, but did not catch me. Water and cheese spewed from my grasp like shopping cart projectiles. I was confused, and uttered an irritated expletive as I found myself spread full-out on the ground. On my belly. In the wet, dirty dirt. If I were watching from afar, I would have let out a shocked and concerned gasp. Then, I would have watched my bulbous self extract my leg from the hole, roll off the ground, and pick up my belongings. Then, I would have laughed-heartily.

A little bit more than slightly late now, I entered the building, said hello, and excused myself to the bathroom. My jeans seemed to be the worst of the situation, so I went back to the concession stand to wait for the baby to move. After about a half hour, I was able to wake her up and feel some reassuring kicks. I paid attention to the ever-present, though ineffective contractions to make sure that they were not too painful or severe. I planned to go to the bathroom frequently to check for any changes.

As luck would have it, a friend called out of the blue to get my address. I couldn't help but share my annoying experience with her, and she (a nurse) demanded that I call my doctor. Surprisingly, I listened to her wisdom and spoke with my own nurse, who demanded I go to the hospital. Since I work in the next town over, I asked if I should go to the local hospital or my home hospital. The nurse answered, "Do you want to deliver where you are?" My nonchalant attitude began to melt away as I looked for people to cover my absence. I apologized to my students, excused myself with my supervisor, then bounced out of the building to get back to town. (bounced carefully, that is)

In all, the experience wasn't unbearable. Everything looked great on the monitors, and it was nice to have the peace of mind that little Poof is comfy in her watery home. Even the labor and delivery nurse seemed relieved to find that I was not in any danger of going into labor, though she did tell me that I was on the borderline of preterm delivery. I.e. delivery at this point would not be too terrible an idea.

Still, with the practice contractions all weekend and my fall yesterday, I decided to get off my butt and pack my bags. I have a bag of comfort items for myself, a mostly empty bag for baby to cart home all her hospital items, and an overnight bag for the kid so that he can spend the night with a friend at a moment's notice.

Your advice is needed: What should I pack in my hospital bag? (I will still add to it every day, but I have my change of undies and other essentials ready to go.) Please also weigh in on the new poll below. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment