Thursday, January 8

Baby Mania Notification #5

All complaining aside, I am glad to be pregnant. Sure, the little one would likely be fine if born today and would have at most a very short stay in the NICU without me. Still, after almost giving birth yesterday and dealing with UNHOLY pain, I am here to eat my words from the past two posts.

Compared to rolling upper abdominal cramps that cause me to double over in pain, I am glad to feel the strangely comforting uterine contractions. Compared to constant vomiting, constant urinating is a joy. Compared to sitting in the hospital receiving fluids and anti-emetics, sitting in the hospital for routine fetal monitoring is blissful. (Though I must admit that the fluids and meds were SO GOOD!) Compared to illness, an uncomfortable, healthy pregnancy is a welcome state of affairs.

I vow to appreciate these last few weeks of pregnancy, whatever their number. I went into this experience excited to be pregnant again and determined not to take a moment for granted. I wanted this child, this opportunity, this joy. I want to remember the ups and the downs as a natural part of my life and the beginning of my baby's. I will focus on loving every minute of it, just as soon as I finish my chicken broth and saltines.

No comments:

Post a Comment