Friday, January 16

Baby Mania Notification #8

I have a maternity belt. Wednesday was a rough day. With bad weather and two appointments booked almost on top of each other, I was running myself ragged. Stressed by the road conditions and my ever-burgeoning gut, I wondered if I could make it through the day. On a whim, I called my chiropractor from my obstetrician's office. Perhaps, maybe, there could be a chance that there was some support device in their office to help a woman of my...stature. I was thinking of a thick Ace bandage or a roll of industrial duct tape. Theoretically, a corset or old tube sock could do something to help me.

Instead, the ever-accommodating office manager found a crumpled up box containing a twisted Velcro apparatus. She said I could use it free of charge for the rest of my pregnancy! That was a great price for the unknown duration of between five minutes and five weeks. Despite my already unreasonably hectic schedule, I drove by the office to pick up my prize.

Ahhhh! Relief!
At first, I didn't realize that two separate pieces worked as the front and the back of the main belt, so I wondered if I had really gained six dress sizes during pregnancy as I tried to fit approximately 32 inches of elastic around my seeming 90 inch abdomen. Laughingly, my co-habitator, sperm donor, and constantly comedic critic offered his assistance and the missing link. I had flashbacks to a previous life of literal corset wearing as husband stretched, pulled, and forced my belly into the tight constraint. Still, I only wanted to wear it tighter. The lift was divine-the support heavenly. My hip and pelvic pain were instantly reduced, and I was able to step down confidently rather than tentatively for the first time in a week. Two hours later, I knew I was in love.

I would never have purchased such an item for myself. The practicality of a maternity belt in a time of unknown pregnancy length is simply too much risk. However, I will absolutely purchase one for my next pregnancy, if there ever is such an event. If you know of someone who is pregnant, a maternity belt would be a perfect gift. It's that one thing we never think we will need, we would never buy for ourselves, and we would never give up once we've tried it.

In baby news: Mama's happier; baby's happier. I feel that I might actually be able to endure two more weeks of pregnancy with the help of this support. Still, I would love to meet my daughter tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment