Sunday, January 25

Baby Watch 2009: Day Six

I have six more days until my due date. I may be pregnant for more than six days; I may deliver this little girl today. Until then, I am going to enjoy my status as a pregnant woman. I don't generally enjoy being the center of attention, but pregnancy has its perks. As soon as I am just an accessory to my infinitely cuter daughter, I will no longer experience people's pampering. Some of the things I enjoy:
  • People constantly ask me how I'm feeling.
  • I always get gleeful greetings as people exclaim how good I look.
  • I like being told that I "don't look that big."
  • Everyone encourages me to eat. Everything. All the time.
  • People expect me to wear comfy, casual clothing.
  • I'm encouraged to rest, put my feet up, sit down, and relax.
  • I haven't had to carry anything in about eight months.
  • My belly is a conversation piece: everyone wants to share her birth experiences with me.
  • Sympathy and solidarity: I'm every woman. Any woman, those having had children or not, will defend me to any man as if we're actually in a battle of the sexes. Usually, no defense is necessary, but I'm suddenly a poster child for femininity.

It's unfortunate that when we actually have children, we women tend to attack and belittle one another's parenting skills instead of support each other defiantly as we did in pregnancy. I'm not looking forward to that part!

No comments:

Post a Comment